Baryonyx was a species of carnivorous dinosaur. Baryonyx lived during the Mesozoic Era, during the early Cretaceous period.
A large predatory dinosaur, Baryonyx hunted fish, bringing down prey with large, sharp, three-fingered claws on short but powerful forearms and a long snout full of sharp teeth that seized prey hard.
Growing to tremendous size, as shown by one individual dubbed Rudy, Baryonyx could bring down prey of virtually any size, from small creatures such as the dinosaur-hunting weasel Buck to prey as large as mammoths and other dinosaurs.
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (First appearance)
- Scrat's Continental Crack-up
- Ice Age: Continental Drift
- Ice Age Village
Behind the Scenes
- Of the few Baryonyx specimens currently discovered, the current holotype is a juvenile. With this, Baryonyx may have been larger, consistent with Rudy's massive size in the movie.
- Scientists maintain that Baryonyx were fish eaters rather than predators seeking land-based prey, as shown in the film.
- In the film, Rudy is an albino Baryonyx. However, the game Ice Age Village allows the player to have an entire family of Baryonyx colored just like Rudy, which suggests that either albinism is very common in the species or that is their normal coloration.
|Ankylosaurus • Archaeopteryx • Baryonyx • Brachiosaurus • Chasmosaurus • Guanlong • Ichthyosaur • Iguanodon • Kentrosaurus • Pachycephalosaurus • Pliosaur • Pteranodon • Quetzalcoatlus • Triceratops • Troödon • Tyrannosaurus • Dinosaur Bird|