Ice Age 2: The Meltdown is a multi-platform video game based on the movie of the same name. It was developed and released by Vivendi Games for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, Gamecube, PC, Nintendo DS, and the Game Boy Advanced on March 14, 2006, 17 days before the movie's release. A Wii version was released shortly after the consoles release.
Plot and gameplay
In this game, Scrat (who is the main character) is caught up in the events of the movie and is trying to pursue acorns while interacting with some characters (who are voiced by the original actors who portrayed them in the movie), some of whom help him in his quest. The game starts off by showing the icy areas where it began in the film and moving onto the woods, as well as exploring regions in the games (such as the bowels of Maelstrom and swampy lands). In the game, Scrat occasionally allies himself with some of the main characters, and the player sometimes can play as either Sid or Diego, although not Manny. Characters (which were shown as bit parts in the movie) are shown usually as adversaries or (in the case of one, a songbird) a guide to the next nut, even though a select number of foes weren't shown in the movie at all.
|Ice Age 2: The Meltdown|
|Cheat Code Central||3.8/5|
The game has received warm reviews from critics. It currently has average Metacritic scores of 68 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions, 67 for the GameCube and 66 for the Wii. Many critics appreciated the games platforming elements, visuals, humor, voice work, and its faithfulness to the movie while criticisms focused on the game's short length.
Alex Navarro of Gamespot awarded the game 7.3 out of 10 calling it "a fun, engaging platformer that ought to appeal to multiple audiences". IGN gave the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions 7.9 out of 10 concluding the review with: "This is a charming little platformer." Cheat Code Central's Cole Smith stated in his review that "The Meltdown is recommended for fans of the movie and gamers of all ages. Hardcores will probably turn their collective noses at the collecting element but the platform elements are challenging and fun. There's no way you won't get a laugh out of this game."
- The video game was released as the movie's working title Ice Age 2: The Meltdown because it's final release wasn't relieved at the time. For its final release, the creators decided to remove the 2, making the movie be called Ice Age: The Meltdown, even though most other countries decided to keep the 2.
- This is the first Ice Age video game to be rated E 10+ by the ESRP.
- ↑ Eurocom - Ice Age 2: The Meltdown review
- ↑ Ice Age 2: The Meltdown for PlayStation 2 - GameRankings
- ↑ Ice Age 2: The Meltdown for PlayStation 2 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Review / Preview for PlayStation 2 (PS2) Cheat Code Central
- ↑ Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Video Game - PS2 Review - GamersHell.com
- ↑ Ice Age 2: The Meltdown review - GameTrailers.com
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Gamespot - Ice Age 2: The Meltdown for PS2 Review - Alex Navarro
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 IGN: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Review
- ↑ Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Review - PlayStation 2 Video Game Review - PAL Gaming Network
- ↑ Ice Age 2 The Meltdown game search results at Metacritic
- Official Website
- Ice Age 2: The Meltdown at Eurocom
- Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Game Boy Advanced version at MobyGames
|Ice Age (2002) • Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) • Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012)|
|Scrat • Manny • Sid • Diego|
|Gone Nutty (2002) • No Time For Nuts (2006) • Surviving Sid (2008) • Scrat's Continental Crack-up (2010) • A Mammoth Christmas (2011)|
|Lost Historical Films during the Ice Age period • Falling for Scratte • Unearthing the Lost World • Buck: From Easel to Weasel|
|Ice Age • The Meltdown • Dawn of the Dinosaurs • Continental Drift|